Monday 15 January 2018

Reflection 1

Several days have passed since my last post. There were sounds that I listened to, that I could have recorded, wrote about, but something held me back. Reflecting on what I've written so far, I feel like I'm retreading familiar territory - this is my second blog - not just in applying pen to paper, eking out another few meagre words to fill some lines in my book, or for that matter simply pricking one's ears. In so doing I'm returning to a place and time long since passed. Observations was an early attempt to really explore the mixing of auditory and visual perception, using self-written texts and sound. Now in 2018, I'm asking myself why have I returned to this point? why this obsession with this 'auralvision' of ideas, why do they never seem to leave me, satisfy my curiosity, reach a conclusion in my work now or since? (and while a "conclusion" is perhaps unwanted) I keep asking myself if whether the dissatisfaction I feel with regard to my work stems from the pursuit of these ideas? And either way, and given that with another passing year I'm reminded of the limited duration afforded me, should I not pursue work that excites me more, breaks into new territory unfettered by conceptual and theoretical concerns, or even ask whether it's work or research? One's preoccupations have after all a habit of whispering into one's work regardless, but that said I do feel that I need to alter course here, if only to breathe new life into my work and renew optimism into myself. And write again too, but about listening in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment